Lincoln School Project
Lincoln School was built in 1916 and served the community of Port Angeles as a grade school until it was closed in 1978. It was vacant and destined to be razed when purchased by the Clallam County Historical Society in 1991.
Years of neglect had taken their toll on the brick building, and volunteers have been working on both restoration and renovation since its purchase. Fundraisers and dedicated volunteers at the Society have financed and physically upgraded the building to its current level. Some of the major changes have been a new roof, earthquake retrofitting and replacement of wooden floors with concrete on the street level.
The next phase of renovation includes installing the electricity, plumbing, sprinkler and heating systems. This is an expense the Society cannot meet without help. We are applying for grants for these improvements but matching funds will be needed, and we will rely on businesses and individuals in the community who share our goals to make the Lincoln School a community resource center for all of Clallam County and beyond.